Grade 9 Self-Contained ELA
English SC -9
Instructor: Mrs. Uhl
The purpose of this course is to enhance knowledge of world literature, increase vocabulary, and develop reading, speaking, listening, and writing skills. We will follow the standards of the English 9 curriculum and will be reading short stories, non-fiction, novels, and poetry. Although the actual NYS ELA Regents Common Core exam will not be administered until your junior year, as a class we will be practicing the skills needed for this exam. At the end of the course, students will be administered the English 9 local exam.
- Be kind and respectful of our classroom community. Learning takes place best in an environment that is respectful and non-disruptive. If you need to take a break, simply tell me that you need to take a walk to get a drink or need a 3 minute time out. I am flexible and accommodating.
- Be productive. Your grade is heavily weighted based on your participation. Also, homework is only assigned when classwork is not completed. If you work hard to complete your classwork, you will not have homework, which means you can have more time at home to explore your personal interests and have more quality time with your family.
- Stay organized. All tests are open book and open notebook. You need to maintain organization to ensure success. We will have multiple days throughout the quarters to organize our materials.
- Writing utensils
- lined paper
- 1 1/2 inch 3 ring binder with pockets
- Packet of dividers (need a total of 8 dividers)
- Flash drive
- Sticky notes
Class Participation – (10%) - This consists of kind and respectful behavior in class, attention toward the lesson, and how you contribute to class discussion.
Classwork (30%) – will be given throughout each quarter.
Tests – (30%) - will be given throughout each quarter. All tests and are open book and open notebook
Written responses/essays – (30%) -will be assigned each quarter.