Below is a link to the Chapter of the Textbook if you do not have yours at home
Below is the Power Point for your Reference that goes along with this Unit
Day 1 - Monday, March 23
Read Chapter 16.1, 16.2 (pages 450-459) - PPT slides 1-34
Complete the following: Evolution Assignment 1
Questions?? Email Miss Ferguson or check the Evolution Assignment 1 Key
Want to Learn More??
Evolution of Dogs Explained by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Clip from Cosmos) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQHBmY6LbiA
Day 2 - Tuesday, March 24
Read through the Adaptation in Organisms Power Point - Make sure to watch the short video clips for the organisms! - Adaptations in Organisms PPT
Complete the following assignment on Adaptations in Organisms - This will be DUE on FRIDAY, MARCH 27th. This will be submitted through Microsoft Forms.
Day 3 - Wednesday, March 25
Watch the interactive video: The Beak of the Finch - https://www.biointeractive.org/classroom-resources/interactive-assessment-beak-finch
Answer the questions embedded into the video.
Read - Introduction to the Beaks of Finches Lab - Intro
TRY IT OUT! (Optional Activity):
1. Get ONE spoon and ONE of the following:tweezers, chopsticks, or needlenose pliers
2. Get a small bowl and fill it with dried beans, seeds, or beads
3. Use your spoon and see how many seeds you can pick up in 30 seconds. Record your number and put the seeds back into the bowl.
4. Use your other tool (tweezers, chopsticks of pliers) and see how many seeds you can pick up in 30 seconds. Record your number.
5. Which tool worked best at picking up the seeds? What charactersticis (traits/adapatations) of the tool allowed it to be more successful at picking up seeds?
Day 4 - Thursday, March 26
Read Section 16.3 in your textbook and review PPT slides 37-56. Then complete Evolution Assignment 3
Day 5 - Friday, March 27
Complete the Evolution Assessment 1 by Sunday, March 29th at 11:59 pm
Day 6 - Monday, March 30
1. Read Section 16.4 in the textbook. Review PPT slides 57-82 - Evidence of Evolution
2. Watch Video (approx. 7 min) - How Do We Know Evolution Happens - https://ny.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/tdc02.sci.life.evo.howhappens/evolving-ideas-how-do-we-know-evolution-happens/
3. Practice - Complete Evolution Assignment 4
Day 7 - Tuesday, March 31
Complete the interactive "Similarities and differences: understanding homology and analogy"
Day 8 - Wednesday, April 1
Evidence of Evolution - Homo sapiens
1. Go to the website - http://www.pbs.org/your-inner-fish/interactives/explore-your-inner-animals/
2. Open up the following worksheet - Human Evolution
3. On the website, click on the Eyes on the human body. Watch the video clip that will play. Answer the questions on the worksheet. Repeat this for the tailbone and teeth. If you would like to, explore the other human body adaptations that show our relationships with common ancestors!
1. Complete the following Activity based on the Relationships and Biodiversity State Lab - Biochemical Evidence for Evolution Worksheet
Day 9 - Thursday, April 2
Read Section 17.1 in your Textbook. Then, review the notes in the Population Genetics PPT on slides 1-26.
Complete Evolution Assignment 5
Then, watch the video about Evolution in the Rock Pocket Mouse - https://www.biointeractive.org/classroom-resources/interactive-assessment-natural-selection-and-adaptation
Day 10 - Friday, April 3
Complete and submit by SUNDAY, APRIL 5th at 11:59 pm:
Evolution Assessment 2 - https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v5u71RO9uUGMbEJL6UFihHuKWPzebVlFkJwo5LUXrlBUME85WDgxSlY4R0s1UDBDOEpJUEU3T
Day 11 - Monday, April 6
Please complete the Evolution Distance Learning Reflection Survey by TUESDAY, APRIL 7th at 11:59 pm. This will count as a participation grade for the 4th quarter. The link to the survey can be found here - https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v5u71RO9uUGMbEJL6UFihHuKWPzebVlFkJwo5LUXrlBUMEFCQlJWUE9MSjBHWElSVDA3WFI3N
Days 12 and 13 - Tuesday, April 7 and Wednesday, April 8
For this lesson, we will be looking at Life's History on Earth. The overarching objective of this lesson is to understand how living organisms have affected the evolution of the abiotic world (Earth's systems - hydrosphere, lithosphere, atmosphere) and how the abiotic environment of the Earth, in turn, has affected the evolution of living organisms.
1. Watch the Crash Course Video: The History of Life on Earth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjE-Pkjp3u4 (approx 13 min)
2. Complete the Click and Learn Activity - Deep History of Life on Earth
a. Download the Worksheet to the acitvity - here to fill in as you go through the activity
b. Open the Click and Learn Acitivity at - https://www.biointeractive.org/classroom-resources/deep-history-life-earth. Click on Launch Interactive to Begin (approx 60 min)
Day 14 - Thursday, April 9
Complete this 2 question assessment on your knowledge of Life's History on Earth - https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v5u71RO9uUGMbEJL6UFihHuKWPzebVlFkJwo5LUXrlBUODdXN1hVSjJKOVM5UFZRRDRDTkpZV.
This assignment will be due tomorrow - Friday, April 10th
Week of April 13th
1. Watch the following video on Classification and Taxonomy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVouQRAKxYo
2. Review the Power Point on Classification - Classification
3. Complete the Classification and Dichotomous Key Activity. The first document provides the background information and instructions. The second document is your student answer sheet. Part A of the activity is optional. Parts B and C are mandatory. Please download the student answer sheet and complete. Then, attach the Word document to an email and send to Miss Ferguson by Sunday, April 19th at 11:59pm.